Tuesday 14 January 2014

Delia the Warrior Princess



10 days ago she almost lost her husband. 4 days ago her first granddaughter was born. Yesterday was her birthday. She is now 54 years old. (Sorry for sharing your age hehe)

Who is this person? She’s my mama!

Not a lot of people ask how the spouse is when the other one is in the hospital bed. Of course we can’t blame anybody when the center of attention is the one in the actual bed. But I want to share you how I saw mama those past few days (if you’re not familiar, stop reading this and read my earlier post and get in the loop dumb dumb!)

As I was saying…

We’re really not a family of criers. If we do cry, we don’t have those family moments where we hug together and cry. We simply choose to stay in a corner by ourselves and weep. Wipe our tears and look strong. I don’t know why we are like this, but I choose to think that we want to show our loved ones that we really aren’t as “affected” to the situation even though we all know we actually are.

When papa was doing his angiogram, I saw lola, mama, Tita Chelle holding their rosaries quietly praying while Tito Pat reads his newspaper. I swear, at the moment I thought papa was already dying. They all looked soooo pale and nobody was talking. I couldn’t help but notice how stressed my mom looked. I wonder what she was thinking.

When the angiogram was over and we found out that papa and mama both decided to have his angioplasty, it was the first time I saw mama smile. Lola and mama watched the whole operation, I opted to cry in the bathroom and waited outside. Again, I wondered what she was thinking. How can she watch that? What if something went wrong? I mean seriously, when I saw the blood I couldn’t even hold my tears.

Mama never left papa’s side the whole time he was in the hospital. She didn’t even want to go home and rest a little when papa was still in the CCU. The only time she left papa’s room was when she had to go get food heated and…

And… when ate was rushed to the hospital to give birth. It was so funny because she was just so excited. We were hanging out inside papa’s room and we heard that PNoy was coming to visit, but we also knew that ate was gonna give birth soon. When we found out that ate was gonna push that cutie pie out of her belly, she just left the room and said, “bahala na kayo dyan ha!” she didn’t even care that PNoy was gonna go inside papa’s room. Haha it was hee-larious!

Anyway, I just wanted to share to all of you that my mom’s pretty great. She’s a warrior. I guess all moms are. They become these giant soldiers with mighty swords or something and protect us from harm. I just want to write about her because I always share my daddy-daughter stories but I always down play her importance. So today, I want to let everybody know that mama’s awesome. She doesn’t ask much, but she gives a lot.


PS. In fairness to her, when PNoy came to visit, she still had the time to call me and remind me to make ham sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment