Friday 8 February 2013

TROUBLESHOOTER


When we were driving home from a family event tonight, I was discussing with my cousin about what happened at work today and he explained to me that I was the troubleshooter. According to him, a troubleshooter is a person who looks for solutions rather than finding another person/division to pass on the problem or to handle the situation.

So the question is, is this good or bad?

Technically speaking, it’s supposed to be a good thing to the point that each section of the Bureau should have a troubleshooter. And if that system exists, it would be a far better bureau than what it is today.

Let me explain what I do as a troubleshooter.

1.     I identify if the applicant transacting will cause any future problem within the day. If so, take note of that person.
2.     When I notice applicants (I usually focus on subjects rather than representatives) who start getting frustrated and cannot be solved by the frontliners, I interfere and try to control the situation.
3.     Once the problem has been identified, I try to calm the applicant, explain the bureau’s procedures and give them options.
4.     I try to assist them to the point that they feel that they are being taken care of and has been given extra attention.

In a day, it would be a bonus if there’s one applicant who acts like the Bureau should focus on them compared to everybody else. The worst would be having three or more of them in one day because I usually don’t get to do my actual work. And believe me when I say that I try to be the kindest and most understanding person in the world just to be professional.

The problem? NOBODY WANTS TO ANSWER THERE QUESTIONS PROPERLY. I strongly believe that people don’t complain when they are informed well enough. Foreigners, who are our clients, believe in properly informing them about the process. Because guess what? They’d comply whatever it is we’re asking them to do ONLY IF THEY KNEW that they had to do it in the first place.

Today, I had one American who went back and forth to our office and to the 3rd floor (section/division will not be named) for the past four hours because nobody told him what he should do, one Canadian who got frustrated for not being able to see his name in the website only to find out that he was approved months ago, because according to him, his hearing officer did not tell him how to find his name on the website, and one lost ACR I-card application form that was eventually found on the same division/section that said that it wasn’t there.

My day would usually involve constant re-tracing of transmittal numbers, calling applicants, and asking different divisions/sections regarding the matter concerned. And take note, I do not stop until I actually get an answer or a solution (good or bad). Today was even extra special because the new generator was being tested, so walking those stairs was my only option.

And at the end of the day, if the applicant is not happy, I either get the blame, the insults, the complaints for not getting what they want or their gratitude. 

so you tell me if being a troubleshooter is a good or a bad thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment